Cuban Black Bean Soup
I started with this recipe from Forks over Knives. I modified it as you’ll notice. You’ll need a large skillet or medium pot and a blender. This recipe makes less than I usually make. Only about 2 generous servings. (Or maybe I was just really hungry). This is a quick recipe… I’d say 15 – 30 mins.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped (or half of a large one)
- 2 large roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more if you so desire)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin**
- ½ – 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro + more for garnish, chopped
- OPTIONAL (but recommended)
- 1 stock celery, chopped***
- 1–2 green onions, sliced (garnish)
- 1 corn tortilla (to make crispy tortilla garnish)
- Hot Sauce (I used cholula)
- non vegan option: Goat Cheese – it isn’t pictured, but my god it’s amazing and highly recommended. I had some lying around, but it isn’t necessary.
** I didn’t actually use Cumin in the recipe, I didn’t realize I was totally out. But I can taste that it would be great in it. But note that it is still great without it.
***I had celery lying around, so I threw it in, but not needed.
- In your skillet/pot heat a thin layer of Vegetable Broth to medium heat. Sauté your chopped onion and garlic until fragrant (2 – 3 mins).
- Add your chopped roma tomatoes, bell pepper, celery stock, black beans, spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne), cilantro, hot sauce and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat, stir in lime juice. Add about 1/2 the mixture into a blender and puree. Return the mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer, and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- If you want to use the tortilla, place it in the oven on 350 until crispy (about 5 – 10 minutes).
- When finished, spoon into bowl and garnish with fresh chopped green onions, goat cheese crumbles, fresh cilantro, dash of extra hot sauce, and pieces of crispy tortilla.