The Clean Joe – Gluten Free – Vegan
My boyfriend hates the idea of sloppy anything, and I’m not really serving this in the traditional “sloppy joe” manner, so I cleaned it up for him 🙂
I sourced this recipe (I absolutely… love.. her site) I made some revisions. I don’t use TVP, so I used her suggested sub. You’ll notice a few other changes as well.
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 14 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes (Mine was in Sauce)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (add seeds for spice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional – adds savory flavor, but I’d highly recommend it)
- 5 Asparagus Spears, bases removed, chopped (optional)
- Pistachios (optional, just add some more heft and texture I added about 20)
What to put it on:
- Personally, I just poured this over some Quinoa pasta I had leftover, and ate it that way. But you can throw it into a lettuce wrap, mix it in with some rice, put it over pure quinoa… it’s pretty versatile…You could even eat it alone if you so desire.
- Heat EVOO over a skillet to medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic to pan. Saute for about 5 minutes – or until onions turn translucent. While cooking, I mixed the Asparagus and Pistachios in a blender to form a chopped mixture. (Wait to add this in).
- Add in the tomato paste, water and chickpeas. Stir until mixed, add a little water here if you need to thin out the paste a bit to stir avoid adding too much water. Now you can add in the remaining ingredients.
- Turn heat to medium and saute for about 5 minutes until the ingredients become flavorful and the mixture thickens well. I added the Asparagus and Pistachio mixture here, to avoid cooking it much. I like asparagus raw. Feel free to add it sooner. But it adds a nice texture.
- Toss this mixture in or over whatever you’d like, and enjoy