Buffalo Cauliflower (Vegan Sub for Hot Wings)
I used this recipe. But changed it ever so slightly. Because I have the motto: “If it’s not broken, FIX IT ANYWAY”
For the batter:
- 1/2 c rice flour (I managed to find BROWN rice flour….)
- 1/4 c Apple Cider Vinegar (I love the vinegary tastey of hot wings, so I figured…WHY NOT)
- 1/4 c water
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: I added some chili powder and cumin to the coating, I felt like it would need more flavor.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Break apart a head of cauliflower into florets and coat evenly with batter. I recommend small pieces of Cauli, I found the texture a little displeasing on larger chunks….
- Toss Cauli Florets with Batter, until its coated evenly.
- Place on greased cookie sheet (or on parchment) and bake for 15 minutes. Batter will harden like a crust.
- 1/4 c hot sauce (I used cholula – which is expensive… but I love it)
- 1/4 c oil
Directions for glazing:
- Mix ingredients well. Brush onto cauliflower. Put back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up again. I broiled for a couple minutes towards the end to really crisp them up. I also sprinkled a bit of chili over the top at this step.
A dip: something creamy would’ve been really good, like a health ranch sub with greek yogurt perhaps? I think it needed something to cut through it. It definitely feels heavy and greasy (though it kinda is… its def a very very much healthier version of its counterpart, hot wings).
My only issue: Odd texture not my fave, but good!