Salt and Vinegar Chip Substitution = Zucchini! Gluten Free, Vegan
This recipe is extremely easy, but there is one catch: You need a dehydrator. The original recipe I found gives a baking method, but I haven’t tried it, and this would jeopardize all the nutrients and goodness of this recipe. But if you’re hard up, check it out here.
- 1 + zucchini’s (depends on your dehydrator size, and the size of the zucchinis, I use a 4 tray nesco, and one LARGE zucchini filled up mine. However I retried this recipe with a thicker cut, and I could fit 2 average Zucchini’s)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- With a Mandolin, cut the zucchinis into thin circles. I did less than 1/8 of an inch the first time, this will give a very thin very crisp chip, which I liked. I’m currently dehydrating a 1/8in chip to see how that turns out (I’ll update when they’re done tomorrow).
- Throw the slices into a larger bowl, drizzle with EVOO, put about a half cup of Vinegar (or more depending on how many your dehydrating) and a few pinches of salt, toss or mix with hands.
- Line dehydrator, not overlapping the slices.
- Dehydrate at 135 for about 8 – 12 hours. (The original recipe I used calls to flip EACH one by hand….I did not do this, they turned out just fine)
This was by far the closest I’ve ever been to emulating a Salt and Vinegar Chip. They were a big hit in my office. Even among those who were skeptics.
I’m also trying a little but of cumin, cayenne and nutritional yeast to see if I can make a bbq-y chip, Also attempting completely plain…. will update tomorrow.
Here are the >1/8in.