Spicy Lentil Tomato Soup with Spinach and Mushrooms (For National Homemade Soup Day! 2/4/13)
I found this recipe… but changed it quite a bit. Apparently it was national homemade soup day yesterday, so I felt the need to make a soup…obviously
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 – 3 cups Veggie Broth
- 3/4 bunch of spinach (My pot was simply too small for the rest of it, but you could throw it all in if you have space – I’d add a bit more broth if you do this though)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 T (or less) Hot Mustard Powder
- half cup of chopped Mushrooms (variety of choice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Half an Onion, chopped
- Cook your lentils as directed, strain, and set aside. You can undercook them slightly since they will finish off in your soup. In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute and Garlic for about 4 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add Mushrooms and Veggie Broth, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add Can of Crushed Tomatoes (with juice), lentils, and Mustard Powder. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add in spinach, and cook until wilted (about 5 minutes).
I didn’t get a good shot of my soup, so I figured I’d feature my cat in it too 😉