Spicy Egg Drop Soup with Cashews
With Chinese New Year Recipes littering the internet… I couldn’t help but crave something with asian flavors….
I’ve been busy the past week. More friends came into town which resulted in more meals eating out, cleaning, and recovering from all the fun… so I haven’t been able to research and plan any new elaborate meals.
I’m also leaving for a trip in a few days, and wanted to avoid buying new ingredients, and use up what I had. So I made a suped-up (PUN INTENDED) version of egg drop. My regular egg drop soup is a lighter meal, this version is good post workout.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 4 cups of Veggie Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 1 inch of ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- Spinach (half a bundle)
- Braggs Amino
- 1/2 T Sage
- Nuts (I used cashews)
- Optional: juice of 2 limes & 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk – if you want to increase it even more, opt for this…it will give it a nice creamy, tang.
- Optional: I didn’t want to purchase new ingredients, but lemon grass and mushrooms would be good in this.
- Heat Veggie Broth & Water to a boil. (I use a homemade veggie broth, so it is fairly rich, you may want to add less water for store bought brands). Throw in Ginger and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add your Braggs (enough to darken broth – taste test and add more as needed) and Siracha (to taste, I added about a T or so). Also add Sage (about 1/2 T).
- Lightly Beat your eggs. While the soup is lightly boiling, begin to stir constantly and slowly add your eggs. Do not add too quickly or they will clump, and you will get an undesired texture.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add fresh spinach (About half a bundle). Cook until wilted.
- Add Raw Nuts on top and extra siracha if desired. The creaminess of Cashews goes well with this rich broth.
I actually prefer egg drop with Braggs over Tamari. Tamari just seems too salty for me (even low sodium). Braggs adds a nice rich flavor without overpowering with sodium. In the future I will opt for this!