NoTaco Tuesday! Mexican Style Quinoa stuffed Avocado with a tangy Bell Pepper Sauce
Inspired by this amazing blog. I would link directly to the inspired recipe, but I didn’t have it bookmarked, but its something I’ve had in mind for a while.
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Cumin
- 1 t smoked paprika (or regular is fine)
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t oregano
- 1/2 t cayenne (or less – really just a few dashes)
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 t Pequin Pepper Powder, or whole Dried Pequin Peppers. (optional, you can use any hot pepper here, this just adds a spicy kick and flavor to the sauce)
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C Water
- 1 T Sunflower Seeds (optional, adds thickness to sauce)
- Black Beans
- Sour Cream
- Heat oil over medium heat, saute garlic lightly. Add cooked quinoa. Add Chili Powder, Cumin, Onion Powder, Oregano, Cayenne and Salt. Mix in well to quinoa lightly crisping up the quinoa while cooking. Once mixed and slightly crisped, turn to low or off and prepare your sauce.
- In a blender, add Apple Cider Vinegar, about half a bell pepper, 1 T oil, Water, Pequin Pepper Powder and Sunflower Seeds (if you want a thicker sauce). Blend well. Cut up the rest of your bell pepper and toss in with the quinoa.
- Honestly, its best to just smash the avocado into a bowl, and add the quinoa and the sauce… but for presentation purposes… mine is STUFFED 🙂