Raw Double Decker Vegan Tacos!
Forget… EVERYTHING you know about tacos, well not everything, remember the general flavors tastes and textures. But forget the traditional. The photo doesn’t really do this recipe justice because it literally tastes better than a normal taco. And anyone who knows me would say that is a tall claim. I love tacos, they are my vice, so this will be a recipe I come back to over and over. It takes planning ahead, but aside from that its super easy. The marinated Turnips give it a delicious tangy flavor and a nice crunch. Say goodbye to those double decker tacobell tacos, and hello to HEALTH!!
**Extra Bonus, raw turnips are amazing for you. High in Vit C, these lil Turnip slivers help you absorb all the other healthy nutrients of your raw tacos, especially Iron from the Collard Greens. Iron from greens is a nonheme form of iron, meaning it is harder for our body to absorb, but pairing it with items high in Vit C significantly increases our bodies ability to take in those vital nutrients **
Ingredients (2 servings – 6ish Tacos)
- 1 Turnip (requires advanced prep)
- Collard Greens (About 6 – 8 Leaves depending on size) – stems trimmed down with pairing knife.
- 1/2 C Soaked Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 C Almonds Soaked, then skins removed
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chili Powder
- Paprika (Smoked is what I went with- but omit for true raw recipe)
- 1 Lime
- Optional: Pequin Pepper Powder (or other spicy red pepper of your choice)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Tomato
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic
- So start off by soaking your Sunflower Seeds and Almonds overnight in filtered water. Also, slice your Turnip on the thinnest blade possible of a Mandolin Slicer. Coat the Turnip lightly in EVOO, about 1/4 C of Apple Cider Vinegar (enough to coat), and generous amount of salt. This will tenderize and marinate your Turnip and make it much more supple for use. You will rinse the salt later, so do not worry. (You will likely have excess radish – save the extra slices for another recipe!)
- The next day, drain and peel your Almonds. Rinse your Turnip Slices in water, and lay out to dry. Throw the almonds, drained sunflower seeds and garlic into a food processor and pulse for a couple of minutes until a nice ground texture. This will be your taco “meat”.
- Place the ground mixture into a large bowl, Add Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika, Oregano to taste. I did approx 1/2 T of Cumin and Chili Powder, about 1 t Paprika and Oregano, and a bit of salt. But season until it has a nice color and rich flavor. (I also threw in a dash of chipotle powder for kicks).
- You’re ready for assembly! Place 2 Turnip slices (if your leaf is big enough) slightly overlapping on the Collard Green Leaf. Add the nut “meat”, avocado and tomato. Squeeze Lime Juice over the top.
- To top mine off, I added a quick homemade “hot sauce”. I just mixed about 1/4 C Water & Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with some Pequin Pepper Powder and Garlic Powder, about 1 t or more depending on spiciness desired. I drizzled this over each taco.
- ENJOY! No really, you’re going to. I can’t believe how healthy this is, for how ridiculously similar it tastes to tacos.
If you have cashews lying around, I highly suggesting making Cashew Sour Cream, man that would be amazing! But Cashews are a little pricey for me, so I kept the ingredients to a minimum here.