Raw Pizza with Smokey “Pepperoni” and Italian “Chicken” – Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free
This recipe isn’t hard, just requires forethought and patience.
So for starters, sorry for the crappy pics lately, I’ve been making food in a hurry and haven’t had time to photograph it while at home, so these are lame cell phone pics, but whatever, you get the idea.
My Coworker erin was snacking on Raw Flax Snacks (Pizza Flavor) at work, and she let me try one, intrigued I checked the ingredients, and went from there.
I was afraid this would be dry, but it actually worked JUST fine with the soft smooth texture of the nut “meat”. But it wouldn’t hurt to add some raw marinara or something to totally amp this sucker up.
Ingredients for Raw Pizza Bread
- 1/4 C Raw Flax Seeds Soaked
- 1/4 C Sunflower Seeds Soaked
- About 1/4 C Flax Meal
- Water as needed
- 1/4 Sun Dried Tomatos (Preferably Soaked, but I forgot to soak mine, it will still work fine)
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1/2 T Garlic Powder
- 1 t each of Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary (or more)
Note, if you don’t have all of these spices on hand, they’re not absolutely necessary, but the more spices the more rich the “bread”
Ingredients for Italian Flavored Nut “Meat”
- 1/2 C Sunflower Seeds Soaked
- 1/2 C Almonds Soaked, Skins Removed
- 3 Cloves Garlic (I used 4 large ones, and mine was so garlicy it was hot, but it was good!)
- 1 t each of Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary (this is rough, I just sprinkled over until it had a nice color)
- 1/2 t Salt
- Dash of Liquid Aminos Optional
Ingredients for Raw “Pepperoni”
- 1 Turnip
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Chili Powder, Chipotle Powder, Curry Powder
*Also for topping, get some greens! I used Kale.*
- Let’s start with the Pizza Bread. Add the drained Flax Seeds, Tomato, Garlic Powder, and other seasonings. Begin Blending. Then add half of the Sunflower Seeds. Blend. Add Flax Meal slowly as needed until you have enough paste to form a sheet in your dehydrator. Add a bit of water as needed to thin, but you’ll want this fairy gooey and thick. Add in the rest of your sunflower seeds and mix, do not blend here, you want them whole. Spread on nonstick sheet for your dehydrator and dehydrate overnight at 135F. If you can manage to flip it halfway through, do so, but if not, it’ll be fine. Also with this batch, I recommend dehydrating some chopped up tomato scraps. And making a tomato “powder” out of this. It is delicious sprinkled over the “bread”. If you can, score the bread before it gets too hard, about 2 hours in.
- For the Raw Pepperoni: Slice your Turnip with a Mandolin with one of the thinnest blade settings, less than 1/8 inch. Toss in EVOO and Apple Cider Vinegar. Drizzle seasoning over until coated nicely. Dehydrate overnight at 135 (or less – these dehydrate fast). I threw these in WITH my bread batch, and everything dried just fine.
- For the Italian Nut Meat: Pulse all ingredients in a blender until mixed.
- Finally!! Prep. Place your nut meat on top of your pizza bread, top with some greens of your choice (I used massaged Kale). Top with Raw “Pepperoni” and enjoy!
This recipe isn’t as daunting as it seems it mainly just takes a lot of planning ahead, but once your items are prepped, they take little to no tending.
Also, feel free to enjoy any of these items independently, they’re all delicious!