Spicy Italian Chickpea Collard Green Wraps – a Fast and Easy recipe! Vegan & Gluten Free
This recipe is going to be one that I come back to for sure. I stumbled upon the inspiration for this recipe here, but made modification based on the ingredients I had at home. I used carrots, green onions and asparagus because that’s simply what I had. But feel free to switch these veggies up!
Ingredients (serves 2 light/average meals)
- 1 can of Crushed Tomatos, about 14 oz, (had used leftover from a big can)
- 1 can Garbanzo/Chickpeas
- 1.5 t Dill (I used freeze dried)
- 2 t Parsley (I used dried)
- 1 t Oregano
- .5 T Agave
- Red Pepper Flakes (as desired for heat – about 2 t)
- Cayenne (same as above)
- 4 spears of Asparagus chopped
- 4 small carrots chopped
- 2 green onions chopped whites and greens
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat oil of your choice over medium heat. Add in Green Onions and Garlic, saute for 3 minutes. Then add in your Diced Tomatos with Liquid, the carrots and asparagus and cook for a few minutes. Add your Agave and spices; Parsley, Oregano, Dill, Red Pepper Flakes, Cayenne, Salt and Pepper. (This seemed like a lot of spice to me at first, and I was nervous, but I assure you, it won’t be! If you prefer things lighter on the spice, then lighten up on it a bit).
- Then take about 3/4 of this mixture and put into a blender (careful of explosion if its still pretty hot, you may want to wait a minute or two to blend). Blend well, then add a little over half the garbanzo beans to the blender and blend up a bit (not completely – you don’t want a very liquidy mixture, more of a thick sauce). If your mixture wont blend, add a bit of water.
- Return the blended ingredients to the pan, and add the rest of the garbanzos to the pan as well. Mix everything around in the pan and cook on medium for about 5 minutes, then reduce to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes if you have the time. Give it a taste and adjust seasoning if needed!
- Take this filling and flop it into a collard green that has been de-stemmed (Google this if you are unfamiliar with it!) roll up, cut in half and serve.
This was SUPER flavorful, warm and hearty. The collard green wrap adds an amazing complimenting flavor as well as the benefit of the raw green. 🙂