Vegan & Gluten Free Black Bean Patties over Cilantro Arugula Salad
Inspired by this recipe! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!
Ingredients for Black Bean Burger
- 1 tablespoon soaked flax seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 sunflower seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 cans black beans (I got them with Jalapeno and Green Chilis)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- Juice of a Lime
- 1 T Chia Seeds soaked in 2 T Water
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 T Water
- Pequin Pepper Powder or Arbol Pepper Powder (or other spicy pepper)
Other Ingredients for Serving
- Can of Corn
- In a food processor combine Flax, Sesame and Sunflower Seeds along with the 2 cans of black beans and begin to blend. Add a bit of water if needed to get the mixture going, but be careful not to add too much water, you want the paste to be thick. Then add in garlic, carrots, tahini, cumin, coriander, tamari, lime and chia and blend. Mixture should be a fairly thick paste. Place in a large bowl and chill for a few hours if time permits to make the mixture easier to work with.
- When ready to cook the patties, preheat the oven to 400F with your baking sheet inside. Once heated place patties down on pan. I recommend small patties, they’re easier to flip.
- Cook for about 8 – 10 minutes on each side.
- While cooking, prepare your salad. In a large bowl mix together your Arugula, some chopped Cilantro and Corn. (I used one large bag of arugula and about 2 T chopped cilantro). In a small separate bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and mix into the salad.
- Once your patties are finished (you will need to repeat this 2 or 3 times depending on your pan size), plate the salad with a couple patties on top. Top with Salsa and serve!