Rainbow Chard Pesto Pasta – Vegan & Gluten Free
I kind of hate when I stumble upon gluten free recipes that use gluten free substitutes like Gluten Free Pasta, so I’ll warn you now, that is exactly what this is, but the star of this show isn’t the pasta by any means, in fact you could even use Spiral Zucchini or Spaghetti Squash or any other noodly type thing.
This recipe is really for the sauce. Inspired by this recipe! Note: I used Pine Nuts and Walnuts simply to cut down on price, Walnuts were much cheaper than pine nuts. But feel free to just use all Walnuts or all Pine Nuts if you’re ballin’ like that.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 large bunch of rainbow chard (about 7 or 8 leafs), ribs removed.
- 1/4 C Pine Nuts
- 3/4 C Walnuts
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T Basil (fresh or dried)
- Nutritional Yeast – to taste
- 2 packages dried Quinoa Pasta
- Begin by starting your Pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a food Processor add a handful of the Chard along with a drizzle of EVOO, some Pine Nuts, Walnuts, Basil, the Lemon Juice, Garlic and blend. Continue adding in the chard and nuts until it is all blending well, adding a drizzle of EVOO here and there as you go. You may need a bit of water to get it blending.
- Once it’s blended well transfer to a large bowl. Mix in some nutritional yeast flakes and a bit of salt and give it a taste. I added about 2 – 3 T of nutritional yeast.
- Once your pasta is done, combine well with hot pasta and serve immediately! (Since you’re not heating your “sauce” it’s best to serve it while the Pasta is still hot)
I love this recipe for a series of reasons. For starters, it’s super easy and a very filling meal. The pasta sauce is raw and you’re getting all the nutritional benefits of the raw greens and nuts! It holds well for leftovers!