Gluten Free & Vegan Burrito – Cinco de Mayo Leftovers done a bit healthier.
We actually did tacos on Cinco de Mayo, and had a lot of leftovers… I didn’t want to keep stuffing them into corn tortillas though, so I decided to make them into a healthier version in a collard green.
I’m going to Omit the listing of amounts here, as this was kind of thrown together from leftovers, just use this as an inspirational guide for flavor!
Sorry for the crappy photo, I was REALLY hungry, and this was too delicious to wait any longer 😛
- Refried Beans (I recommend making them from scratch, I boiled mine along with Leek Greens to add extra flavor)
- Sunflower Seeds
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Collard Greens
- Quinoa (you’re seeing Red Quinoa in the pic)
- Taco Seasoning (I homemake mine with Cumin, Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Garlic, Onion and Cayenne)
- Hot Sauce
- Cut the Turnip as thin as you can into rounds, I used a mandolin to do this at about the 1/8 in setting. Marinate for at least a few hours in apple cider vinegar.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium/high heat, add the quinoa and let crisp up a bit in the oil without touching it, then stir and let settle again for a few minutes. This should give it a nice almost crunchy texture. Then add in your Taco Seasoning.
- In a blender/food processor pulse the sunflower seeds into they are almost in a pate. Fold into the quinoa.
- Time to assemble your Burrito! Remove the rib of the Collard Green (google this if you’re unsure how, or what that means!).
- Place about 3 turnip slices on your collard green wrap, depending on the size of your leaf.
- Then Place Quinoa & Sunflower Seeds mixture (let it cool to a manageable temp first, but not completely), then the refried beans then the hot sauce! Carefully wrap up and enjoy 🙂
This is a healthier alternative to tortillas, and a good way to get some raw greens in!