Sushi “Pizza” with a Tangy Tahini Wasabi Sauce – Vegan & Gluten Free
I came across this recipe yesterday and I really loved the concept! I know that inherently brown rice will not hold together that well, especially since I only have long grain at home, which is especially less sticky than short. So I wanted to make some revisions to the ‘crust’… I also wanted some form of higher protein so I decided to conquer both of these tasks at once.
I added Chia (ground soaked in water) which is often used as an egg substitue… and I also added ground up Almonds.
I’m currently obsessed with using Tahini in sauces lately (remember its super high in fat! So consume in moderation!)
Keep in mind you can obviously add any combo of toppings, this is just what I had on hand!
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4 good portions)
- 2.5 C Cooked Brown Rice
- Rice Vinegar
- 1 T Ground Chia Seed soaked in water until gooey (I use about a 1:2 Ratio of Chia:Water)
- .5 C Ground Almonds
- 2 – 3 Sheets of Nori
- Braised Green Beans (you need oil, vinegar and water for this)
- Cucumber cut into thin matchstick pieces
- Kohlrabi thinly cut
- Kale torn into small pieces
- Thinly Sliced Leek (some greens and all the white)
- 1 T Tahini
- 1 T Tamarai/Soy Sauce
- 1 T Lemon Juice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375F.
- While your rice is cooking, braise your Green Beans. To do this, cut off the ends and cut them in half. Heat oil in a pot over medium/high heat. (I used peanut oil). Place in your green beans and cook for about 3 minutes or until browning slightly on the edges. Then toss in your garlic, mix and cook for a minute or two more. Then add in about 1 – 2 T Rice Vinegar and 1 T Water. Cover and cook until water is just about gone.
- When your rice is done mix in a dash of salt and a bit of Rice Vinegar (I just drizzled a bit in). Next mix in your Chia and Almond Meal. When mixed flatten mixture onto the baking sheet evenly into a thin crust layer. Try and push the edges in a bit so you have an even layer and drizzle a bit of water on the outsides to help it stay together as it cooks.
- Next layer on The Sheets of Nori, tear them up as necessary to fit evenly on the crust. Next add your Leeks Kale, Kohlrabi, Cucumber, Green Beans and top with a drizzle with a bit of Tamari.
- Place in oven and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, watch it and remove before Kale begins to burn.
- Meanwhile mix your sauce by combining wasabi, Lemon Juice, 1 T Tamari, 1 T Tahini.
- When your pizza is finished, remove from oven and let slightly cool, with a sharp knife, carefully separate into small pieces and drizzle with your Sauce and Serve!
Note: Despite my efforts to make the crust stick together more, its still not really able to pick up like a pizza.. however if you cut into small bite size pieces you can easily pick up an entire piece on your fork!