Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup Version 5.0 (Contains Tahini & Egg)
I could probably have a spin off blog just Hot & Sour Soups… I cook them all the time, they’re super easy, really flavorful and always hit the spot (especially if your’e cold or feeling under the weather). This is most similar to a Tom Kha Gai but is pretty far from the traditional. I didn’t have access to any Chili Sauce, Sriracha or Thai Chilis so I had to work with what I could find. Tahini also adds a nice little creaminess and a unique flavor.
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 6 C Vegetable Broth (Use homemade for the best possible taste)
- 1 Inch of Ginger (half minced, half just sliced skin intact)
- 3 – 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 5 Green Onions Chopped
- Sprouted Beans
- 1 C Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Large Jalapeno + Seeds, ground up together (or blended)
- 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 T Tamari
- 1 – 2 T Tahini
- Apple Cider Vinegar (to taste, I used about 3 T)
- Lemon (to taste I like mine sour so I used about 3+ T)
- 2 Egg Whites (Optional, I had some leftover from a previous recipe)
- Start by heating Oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add your Garlic, the minced garlic and about 3/4 of your chopped Green Onions (reserve some for topping at the end) and slowly brown. Add in your Vegetable Broth and ginger slices and cover until Boiling.
- While I waited for that to come to a boil I smashed up a jalapeno + seeds into a paste in a mortar and pestle.. if you don’t have one, just chopped it up slightly and blend.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add in your coconut milk, Tahini, Vinegar, Lemon, Tamari and Jalapeno paste. Simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust as needed. Add Salt and red pepper flakes here. If you’re adding egg, bring back to a rolling boil and being stirring quickly. Add the egg in slowly while stirring to cook and allow the egg to fluff out. Reduce and let simmer for about 5 minutes longer.
- For serving, place a bit of brown rice at the bottom of a bowl, then add your soup, top with Sprouted Beans and More Green Onions.