Greek …Sushi? Yes. Greek Tzatziki Sushi.
I’ve always been a big fan of Mixing different types of cuisine. I saw some recipes using Cucumber as a type of ‘Nori” for sushi, and I was interested in making a sushi inspired dish in terms of presentation, but using all greek flavors. I was actually very very surprised at how WELL Cucumber stayed wrapped up! When I saw pictures I did the classic “PFF ya right, thats def gunna fall apart the second the wind blows….” but I was proven very wrong.
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 1 T Chia Meal soaked in 2 T Water (optional – helps bind)
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- .5 – 1 C Swiss Chard – or other green (such as collard or kale)
- 5 T Coriander Powder
- 2 T Corn Meal
- 3 – 6 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
- Onion Powder
- Yogurt (Greek or Low Fat Plain)
- 1 T Dill
- 2 t Parsley
- 1 T Tahini
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a Food Processor toss in Chickpeas, add water as needed to blend up a bit (doesn’t need to be a paste – can be flakey). Then Add in your Swiss Chard, Tahini, Coriander, 2 cloves minced garlic, about 2 – 3 teaspoons onion powder, Chia (water and all – when you soak it- it will become a goo) and Corn Meal.
- On Parchment Paper, form your mixture into thin Strips, about 1/2 inch wide and about 2 inches long (keep in mind you’ll be cutting these in half and placing them in your cucumber, so it should be twice the thickness of your Cucumber). Bake for about 7 – 10 minutes, flip and cook until crisped. For the sake of understanding, we’ll call these Falafels. (I know, they’re not).
- Meanwhile, slice your cucumber with a mandolin to one of the thinnest settings. Place them in a bowl and heavily salt (you will wash this off). Let that sit.
- Now create the sauce that will go inside your roll. Combine about 1 C Yogurt with the Dill, Parsley, and as much garlic as you can stand. I use a lot, about 3 cloves minced. Mix and Chill.
- When everything is ready for assembly, rinse your cucumber WELL to get rid of all the salt. (This process helps make them more maleable and stay together – I actually don’t know how well this would work withOUT doing this, so if you try, let me know!). Add yogurt sauce all along a slice of cucumber, place your Falafel pieces (cut to fit) inside and roll up! Plate with extra Yogurt for dipping if desired!