Mexican Stir Fry
Continuing on my theme of combining cooking/presentation methods of one culture, with the flavors and ingredients from another culture… I present to you… Mexican Stir Fry! This is one of my new favorites! Its easy to prepare, and full of flavor. It gives you all the Mexican Flavors without any Corn Products (which is always a bonus in my book – despite how delicious corn tortillas are).
If you don’t have some of the vegetables listed, feel free to replace them with something else you have around the house! Add any other types of veggies you’d love to incorporate into the mexican flavor.
You will need two LARGE! Skillets
Ingredients Serves 4 – 5
- 1 small can Tomato Paste
- ~2.5 C Uncooked Brown Rice
- 1 – 2 C Chopped Green Beans (about 1 inch pieces)
- 1 Leek
- Hot Sauce – I used Valentina
- 1 Yellow Squash Chopped
- 4 Carrots Chopped
- Half a Purple Cabbage Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 – 3 Eggs
- 1 – 2 T Cumin
- 1 – T Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Limes
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- Start by preparing your rice. You can make Spanish Rice however you prefer, if you have some sort of favorite recipe, go for it! But for the sake of time and ease of prep, I cheat. I mix the can of tomato paste with enough water to cook my rice plus a little extra, and mix it well into the rice into the rice cooker, and let it do it’s thing. It may clump up a bit in the rice cooker, but no fear, when it’s finished just mix it in together.
- While your rice is cooking, chop and prep all of your ingredients. First you’re going to braise your Green Beans and Leek Greens. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add Green Beans and Leek Greens and cook until browning, about 5 minutes with regular stirring. Then reduce the heat and add about .5 C Water and .25 C Hot Sauce, cover and let simmer until water reduces.
- Meanwhile begin cooking the rest of your veggies. In a large skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium heat, add in your Garlic, Leek Whites and Onions and Saute until lightly browning. Then add in the Carrots and Squash and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring. Then finally add in your cabbage and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While your veggies are cooking, you can cook the eggs. You can add the egg 1 of 2 ways. You can scramble them up and then stir fry it in, OR you can make fried eggs and top your plates with 1 each…. fried egg is delicious, but adds significant calories, so I stuck with scrambled in. So, scramble your eggs in a separate Skillet. Now it is time to start combining everything. Push your eggs to one side of the skillet and transfer half of the veggies from the other skillet, into the egg skillet, then transfer half of the eggs into the first veggie skillet, in other words evenly balance both skillets with egg/veggies.
- Add a bit more oil and bring to high heat, add your rice evenly into both skillets and stir fry. Here you can add in your Cumin, Lime, Chili Powder, Salt, More Hot Sauce as desired and Red Pepper Flakes. (adjust spices as desired). Stir fry everything together over high heat until well combined.
- When finished add in chopped cilantro to taste (I used about 1 T). Plate and serve!