Game of Thrones Themed Salad – Greens topped with Apples and Nuts
Like many people out there, I too attended a season finale watching party of Game of Thrones. I was told to try and bring a plate inspired by the show, and after much research, I was reminded that a vegetarian, especially a gluten free vegetarian had no place in the story… hah. Despite that fact, they still did eat fresh greens from time to time..
So this recipe is 98% ripped from this one, I only differed in recipe based on the fact I needed to serve a larger group, and availability of other ingredients.
My amounts are for serving around 8 – 10 potluck style
“Cersei set a tasty table, that could not be denied. They started with a creamy chestnut soup, crusty hot bread, and greens dressed with apples and pine nuts.” -A Clash of Kings
- 1 Bunch Green Leaf Lettuce
- 1 Bunch Spinach
- 5 – 6 Apples of Varied Color
- Feta Cheese or Goat Cheese – amount to taste, I used a large container of crumbled Feta
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 C Nuts of Choice – I topped mine with chopped Walnuts
- Salt & Pepper
- Assemble like you would any other salad… duh! Just kidding… so if you’re going for presentation points, then assemble as shown in the picture; Place thinly sliced apple rounds over a bed of lettuce with cheese between each layer, topped with dressing and nuts.
- The trickier part is making this work for a party, so I’ll instruct for that! In a HUGE tupperware, or a series of smaller ones place down your lettuce first, mixing together the Spinach and Green Leaf Lettuce.
- Thinly slice your apple (I used a mandolin), leave some in whole rounds, but cut about half of the rounds into 4ths, or else your salad will be very difficult to eat. If you’re not going to the party right away, and you’re worried about your apples browning, soak them in Water, Light Salt and Lemon Juice for 5 minutes, then drain, this actually keeps them from browning! Place your apples slices over the lettuce layer evenly.
- Add Cheese & Walnuts, Salt & Pepper and your salad is ready for transport!
- For the Dressing, simply Mix Balsamic with a bit of Honey and EVOO and Water to thin. Make however much you think is appropriate for your crowd, I made about a 1 C – 2 C of dressing.
- I recommend keeping the dressing on the side, as a salad sitting in dressing to long can become unappetizing.