Beet, Heirloom Tomato & Apple Salad over Radicchio & Butter Lettuce with a Tangy Honey Chia Dressing
Let me start out by saying that this got full approval from one housemate, and a “Meh” from my boyfriend. I attribute that review based on the inherent bitterness of Radicchio (similar to Arugula) and the earthy-ness of Beats. So if you’re not into those things, I suggest not making this salad, or at least change up the greens to something more mild.
- 1 Head of Radicchio
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce
- 2 Beets Raw or Roasted – thinly sliced (if you roast the beets, reserve the juice they let off while they Roast!)
- 2 Heirloom Tomatos – Chopped
- 1 Apple – Chopped
Ingredients for Tangy Honey Chia Dressing
- .5 T Chia Seeds
- 1 T Honey
- 1.5 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- Water (as needed)
- Optional: Juice reserve from Roasted Beet
- Clean your lettuce, leave the Radicchio leafs whole, but chop up the butter lettuce. Plate the Radicchio down first in a circular fan, and top with chopped Butter Lettuce.
- Next plate your beets, topped with chopped tomato and apple.
- Now for the dressing: Blend all dressing ingredients together except the chia seeds. Once blended add in the chia seeds and stir and chill for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the chia seeds have puffed out. Mix well to separate any chia clumps that may have formed.
- Dress your salad and serve!
If you’re not going for presentation points, just combine everything in a large bowl and toss. You can also chop up the beats smaller so they’re a little easier to eat!