Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant Dish) with Caramelized Miso-Peanut Tofu Vegan & Gluten Free
This is the first time I’ve ever cooked with Eggplant, and loved the outcome.
Ingredients for Tofu
- 1/2 Block Firm Tofu
- 1 – 2 T Mirin
- 2 t Sesame Oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 T Natural Peanut Butter (or peanut sauce)
- 1 t Tamari (omit if you used a prepared GF peanut sauce)
- 2 t Miso
Directions for Tofu
- Cube the Tofu and Marinate in all ingredients for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a Non Stick Skillet over High Heat with a drizzle of oil. Place Tofu down carefully (if you were chilling your marinade, it will splatter when it hits the heat). Spread out tofu but let it sit untouched on one side for about 3 minutes. Then Stir around and flip. Each side should have a nice Seared Crusty Outside.
Ingredients for Main Dish
- 2 Eggplants (mine were pretty smallish)
- 2.5 C Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 – 1.25 C Plum Tomatos (I used one of those entire little plastic baskets of them)
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 T Tahini
- 2 C Chopped Kale (about 2 Big Handfuls)
- 2 Yellow Squash Chopped
- 1 Armenian Cucumber (Or a regular Cucumber) peeled and chopped
- 1 Cubanelle Pepper (Or any sweet pepper)
- 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
- Cayenne to Taste for Heat
- Salt to Taste
- .5 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Chopped Cilantro
- 1 t Coriander
- 2 t Turmeric
- 2 Small Onions thinly sliced (or 1 large)
- Set Oven to Broil. Pierce the skin of the Eggplant, Tomatos and Pepper. Place on a grill rack covered with foil to prevent juices from spilling into oven. Roast for about 15 – 20 minutes. Turning the Veggies halfway through. When the skins of the Tomatos are starting to crack and roast away remove them and set aside. Remove the Pepper at this time as well. Let the Eggplant Continue to Roast Turning it every 5 minutes.
- Add Garlic Cloves and Kale to the Roasting Rack (I could only fit half of my Kale at this time). Remove Kale when it starts to lightly brown (about 5 minutes), then repeat for the rest of the Kale. After Garlic has roasted for about 10 – 15 minutes remove and set aside. Let the Eggplant Roast (still turning) until very tender – about 40 – 50 minutes total.
- While you Wait for your Eggplant to finish, start to saute your other veggies. Heat a skillet over medium/high eat with oil. Add your Onions and Squash, cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a blender/processor combine your Roasted Tomatos, Garlic and Sweet Pepper (remove stem and seeds). Set Aside.
- When Eggplant is Finished remove skin and tops when cool enough to handle. Place into the blender/processor along with Tahini and Blend.
- Add your Tomato Mixture and your Eggplant Mixture into the Pan of veggies and Mix. Add in Turmeric, Coriander, Chili Powder, Salt, Cayenne and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Add in your rice and combine. Cooking everything through for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, Add in your Cilantro, Roasted Kale & Cucumber and fold together. Taste and add more seasoning as desired.
- Garnish with Cucumber Slices and Cilantro, paired with the Caramelized Tofu.