The Vegan BLT Black Bean Burger with Avocado Bonus Points!
The Vegan BLT technically takes an entire day to complete, as the ‘B’ of the BLT is a dehydrator recipe. However, if you eliminate that portion, this is one of the easiest and quickest (unless you’re cooking your beans from scratch), burger patties I’ve made yet.
Ingredients for Vegan Bacon
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 T Agave
- 1 t Smokey Paprika
- 1 T EVOO
- 2 Soy Sauce/ Tamari
- 2 t Chili Powder
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
Directions for Vegan Bacon
- Cut the Eggplant into bacon-shaped pieces with a mandoline, cut as thin as you can. I did mine at a click or two less than 1/8inch.
- Marinate strips of Eggplant in the rest of the ingredients mixed well for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- Remove strips from marinade and pat dry (if you don’t do this, your bacon will take WAY LONGER).
- Dehydrate at 125F until crispy. Between 8 – 12 hours.
Ingredients for Black Bean Burger
- 1.5 C Cooked Black Beans (or about 2 Cans)
- .5 C Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 C Flax Meal
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Cumin
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 T Ground Coriander
- 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 Large Vine Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
Directions for Black Bean Burger
- In a food processor, combine Black Beans, Garbanzo Bean Flour, Flax Meal, half a chopped yellow onion, 1 Chopped Green Bell Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic and Coriander. (Feel free to throw in other spices you like here as well – such as salt/pepper/paprika etc) Process until a thick paste is formed. Your mixture shouldn’t need any water, but if it does, add it very slowly, you want it to be thick. If you overwater your recipe, add more chickpea flour.
- Heat EVOO over a medium/hot skillet. Form small palm sized patties and pan fry, about 3 – 5 minutes per side. Flip and cook through.
- For assembly, I suggest grilling your onions (but raw works too). Take large whole Iceberg Lettuce leaves and pile on tomato, your patty, more lettuce, avocado and your vegan bacon strips. Top with another Leaf, add any condiments you so desire, and devour!!!