Sunday Brunch – Asparagus Benedict (a play on the traditional Eggs Benedict) – Vegetarian & Gluten Free
Eggs Benedict was one of my favorite Sunday Brunch Meals before I went gluten free a couple years ago. Although the hollandaise sauce is one key ingredient… one equally important part is the english muffin that everything sits on top of.
This recipe is a play on the original using Richly Seasoned Asparagus on top of a sweet & savory flatbread (made from Gram Flour) topped with hollandaise. Although there is no ham/bacon in the recipe, the rich seasoning on the Asparagus will satisfy the craving for the salty/rich taste of meat.
This recipe Serves 2.
Tips for the flat bread
- Make the batter first, but let it chill while you prepare the rest of this meal
- Cook the bread last, so that it is still warm upon serving.
- If for whatever reason you prep the bread first, just throw back on a warmed pan before serving (or oven). I don’t recommend the microwave as this will lead to an undesirable texture.
Ingredients for Flat Bread
- 1/2 C Gram Flour (garbanzo bean/chickpea flour)
- 1/2 T (or less) of Agave
- 1 -2 t Allspice
- 1 t Garlic Powder
- 1 t Onion Powder
- Oil of choice
Directions for the Flat Bread
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water slowly until you reach a good consistency (should be about the texture of pancake batter). Usually its almost equal parts dry:wet to get a good ratio.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Use a little Oil if desired, but it isn’t necessarily needed.
- When the pan is hot, add half the batter (the batter will make two flatbreads). Cook for about a minute, or until you can flip the bread. Flip and finish for another minute or so. Cook until lightly browned (flipping again if desired, for extra cooking).
- Remove from pan and plate.
Ingredients for Seasoned Asparagus
- Asparagus (as much as desired for 2 – I used about a half bundle from the store)
- All Spice
- Ginger Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Oil of Choice (I use EVOO)
- 2 Gloves Garlic Minced.
Directions for Asparagus
- Heat oil of choice over a pan on medium heat.
- Trim your asparagus as desired (cut off thick base.)
- Add asparagus to hot pan evenly, avoid overlapping. Drizzle a coat of seasoning over the top. I just seasoned to my liking, no exact science here for the measurements. Just a nice light coat of seasoning.
- Let cook for about 2 – 4 minutes. Then flip the asparagus. Lightly season the other side, same as the previous.
- Add garlic scattered throughout the asparagus, and finish cooking until lightly browned.
- Remove and plate over the flatbread. (Or put on low to keep warm while you prepare the rest).
Ingredients for Hollandaise
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- Drizzle of Tahini
Directions for Hollandaise
- I used a double boiler method. You can make your hollandaise however suits your fancy! Heat a deep pan (or wide pot) full of water over medium heat. Do not let boil.
- In a bowl whisk together yolks and lemon juice. Set the bowl in the warm water whiel you whisk, this should help thicken your mixture, but do not let boil. Bowl should always be just cool enough for you to still hold while whisking.
- Once desired thickness is reached, add a drizzle of tahini and mix in.
- Drizzle over your plate!
Serve and enjoy!