Roasted Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Kale Salad with a Lemon Tahini Sauce
Credit for this one goes to The Vegan Cookbook Aficiando, the only ‘spin’ I put on it would be altering the ingredients slightly. I had some other ingredients getting old in my fridge, so I threw them in. I also altered the amount of spices slightly, I tend to be a heavy handed spice-er.
I also…..wait for it…..omitted the garlic…. why you ask?! I DO NOT KNOW AND MAY NEVER. I must’ve just blanked when I was making it, and didn’t grab any garlic. ITS COOL THOUGH.
As far as ingredients go, if you don’t have everything on hand, don’t be afraid to omit or substitute as desired!
For us, this served 4 (2 dinners and 2 lunches)
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- Oil of Choice (I used EVOO)
- Salt (I opt for Pink Himalayan)
- 1 Large Head of Kale, De-stemmed, Chopped, and well Massaged
- 1 Small Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Cucumber Chopped
- 2 Jalapenos Chopped, Some Seeds reserved for dressing (if heat is desired)
- 1 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 3 Lemons Juiced
- 3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
- Salt to taste (I opt for Pink)
- Water as needed to thin
- Drizzle of EVOO
- Drizzle of Agave
- Preheat oven to 375F. Peel and Chop your sweet potatoes and throw them in a large bowl. Add your can of chickpeas to the bowl as well. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and salt and toss. Spread out onto a Baking Pan (I lined mine with foil for easier cleanup) and put into the oven.
- After about 10 minutes, add your chopped yellow onion to the top of your baking pan. Sprinkle Cinnamon, Allspice and Cayenne over the top. I just eyeballed the amount and gave it a good generous coat. Then stirred everything around with a spoon a bit. Return to oven and finish baking for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your kale and add to a large bowl. Add in your Cucumber, Red Onion and Jalapeno (or whatever you opt to use) and toss your salad 🙂
- Prepare your salad dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stirring until well combined. Only add water as needed.
- Once your veggies are done in the oven, remove and let slightly cool.
- Plate your Tossed Salad down first, then top with your veggies/chickpea mixture from the oven, and finish off with the dressing!
I didn’t toss this salad all together, I just plated on a large plate and spread everything out evenly.
Enjoy!! This was on of my boyfriends favorite meals. Which is great, since it is totally good for you!