Italian Chickpea Stuffed, Balsamic Marinated, Mushrooms, NutParmesan Crusted tops! (Vegan & GF)
I’m a stuffed mushroom fan, but I was surprised at how hard it was to find recipes that didn’t include cheese and bread somehow in the mix (and still actually sound yummy). I was also surprised to see that there weren’t many experimental stuffed mushroom recipes (maybe they just don’t work?) So I may experiment soon.
This recipe was inspired by this one here
- 6 – 8 Large Mushrooms for stuffing.
- 1 can Chickpeas/garbanzo beans or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- Half a Red Onion Chopped
- 1/4 Sweet Onion Chopped
- A few Chopped Radishes
- Greens of Some Kind (I used Radish and Carrot Greens)
- 1 T Flax Meal (because why not add flax to everything – totally optional)
- 1/2 C Nuts (I used Walnuts, Brazil and Almond – use any you have)
- 1/4 C Nutritional Yeast (or less/more depending on how cheezy you like them)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Italian Seasonings
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Start by removing the stems and cleaning out the inside of the mushrooms, prepping them for stuffing. I save the insides, chop them up, and add them to the stuffing mix.
- Take your cleaned mushrooms and Marinade them in a bit of balsamic. (I did this for about an hour).
- Meanwhile, combine Carrots, Mushroom Parts (if you kept them), Onions, Radish, Greens, Flax and Garbanzo Beans. Mash everything together (using a masher or fork). Then add in a generous amount (I just give it a nice heavy coat) of Italian Seasonings and a Dash of Salt and Stir.
- Separately, Blend Together Nuts and Nutritional Yeast (should be ground up into a Parmesan type texture). Add a dash of salt to the mixture and Set Aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove your Mushrooms from Marinade (reserve Vinegar) and bake for about 10 minutes (watch them, remove them when liquid has pooled inside the mushrooms).
- Carefully dump the liquid out of your Mushrooms, I use tongs to do this.
- Now carefully stuff your mushrooms with your mixture and top them with your Nut Parm Mixture.
- Place back into the oven on Broil until tops JUST begin to brown. This only takes a few minutes, watch carefully, check every minute or so, after the first few have passed.
- Remove when lightly crisped at the tops. Drizzle a bit of Balsamic over the tops (you can use the same Balsamic you used to marinade) and let cool slightly and serve!