Unemployment day 2 (a flash back): Caprese Sandwich
One of my favorite parts about being unemployed? Spoiling my boyfriend :]
This wasn’t technically Gluten Free, he isn’t gluten free – so I don’t force him to be. However, it would be easy to just snag some GF bread from the store. Or you can always omit the bread altogether and eat it as normal Caprese Salad, which is what I did 🙂
- Slices of Mozzarella
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh Basil
- 1 Large Tomato (Heirloom would be DELICIOUS – if I could afford them)
- Salt & Pepper
- Smashed Garlic
- Gluten Free Bread (Optional)
- If you want to make a reduction from the Balsamic, bring it to a boil and then reduce and let simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes. You’ll need a decent amount of vinegar for this, about 1/2 C.
- Meanwhile, set your oven to broil (if you’re using bread). Mix together EVOO, Salt & Pepper. Spread the oil mixture over the bread, then rub smashed garlic over the slices as well.
- Place on pan and toast. Flip once after bread begins to toast on one side. This time varies – just keep an eye on it.
- Once the bread is toasted, place a few slices of mozzarella on one piece of bread and place back in oven and let melt.
- Once melted, remove from oven, drizzle over your balsamic reduction, place thin sliced tomato and basil leaves, and top with the other piece of bread.
- Voila, DELICIOUS SANDWICH.