Creamy Vegan Garbanzo Bean Salad..?
I have no idea what to call this… It’s creamy and tangy like a slaw or potato salad, but vegan, and made of garbanzo beans. But that title didn’t sound as catchy…… not that my current one is. If you have any ideas as to what to call it – please enlighten me!
Not the most visually pleasing meal I’ve ever made, but damn it tastes good. This was whipped together quickly just from the few ingredients I had on hand.
I made vegan mayo earlier in the day in hopes to use it with something. I had made a pound of garbanzo beans in the crock pot a day ago, and am trying to use them up until I need to freeze them. And I had a few other random things around that I threw together in hopes the flavors would marry – and oh, how they did. It’s a bit spicy, sweet, tangy, savory… its everything!!
The dried chopped onion is optional, and not always a typical pantry item… but may I recommend you go grab yourself some! (Costco sells it!) Its DELICIOUS and they add amazing crunchy texture to food.
- About 1.25 Cup Garbanzo Beans
- 2 T Vegan Mayo < click for my easy soy/nut free recipe
- Chopped Cucumber – I only used half of a small one
- 1/2 of a chopped Red Onion
- 2 T Garlic Minced
- Chopped Onion (Dried like this)
- Salt & Pepper
- Sriracha to Taste
- 1/2 – 1 T Agave
- Take about .75 C of Garbanzo Beans to a food processor/blender and process until flakey. Add the processed Garbanzo Beans to a large bowl, and add in remaining whole garbanzo Beans.
- In a pan, heat oil of choice over medium heat. Saute the chopped red onion for about 5 minutes, or until slightly browning – then add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the onion/garlic mixture to bowl. Combine the Remaining ingredients and stir. Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more Sriracha/Sweetener as desired.
- Serve and top with a dash of pepper and dried onion.
This was my dinner – but it could work well as a side!