Vegan Mayo – Soy & Nut Free!
So Mayo is a loose interpretation of what this is – it has a lot of Mayo-ish elements.. and ends up being similar to maybe a Miracle Whip – in flavor, not texture. I personally hate buying “vegan mayo” or mayo subs or making soy packed mayos, or soaking cashews and … blah blah blah… etc. So this will do.
I use this recipe in the place of mayo, where mayo is needed as a base, such as Potato Salad, Coleslaw, etc. It has the tang and richness that mayo adds to these recipes – that this can easily replace. I also threw some in my boyfriends sandwich for a little added flavor – he seemed to enjoy it.
While mustard isn’t mandatory – I think it adds to the flavor.
- 3 T Ground Flax
- 1 T Water
- 1 T Chia Seeds
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 1/2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 – 2 T Coconut Milk (I used light) – not TOTALLY necessary – but it adds nice substance
- Optional: Dijon Mustard – just a bit to taste
- Add Ground Flax and Chia to water and let sit for about 10 minutes, Stirring twice. The Flax and Chia will thicken a little bit.
- Add in Lemon Juice, Vinegar and Coconut Milk and Whisk together. Add in salt and mustard (if you’re adding it).
- Then add 1 T Oil and whisk vigorously. Refrigerate for a few hours. If you want a thicker mixture – add more oil, very slowly and vigorously whisking. Only add about 1/2 T at a time and whisk, then add more, etc.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed – add more lemon/salt etc as you desire.