Chickpea Casserole with Sweet Potato Crust – Vegan & Gluten Free
This recipe was inspired by this one on a great site for other spiralized recipes.
It used a few more steps than I felt like committing too – as well as eggs, which I was avoiding.
This is basically just a random recipe that utilized random ingredients that I had in the fridge – with simple preparation and seasoning. It came together nicely.
- 1.5 C Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Beefsteak Tomato (or other tomato thinly sliced into rounds)
- 1/2 C Broccoli Chopped Small
- 1 Large Sweet Potato Spiralized
- 1 T Chia Seed Ground with 1 T Water
- Italian Seasoning
- Dried Chopped Onion (or Just chop a real onion)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sriracha Or other hot sauce of choice
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Grind your Chia Seeds into a powder and mix them with about an equal amount of water and let thicken for about 1 minute, stir it to avoid clumping. Add more water as needed to make it less gel like.
- Mix that into the spiralized sweet potatoes until well combined. Smash this mixture down into a pie glassware (safe for oven). Compact it down as much as you can then place in oven. After about 10 – 15 minutes, remove and flatten more – it should flatten pretty well by this point.
- Meanwhile prepare your other ingredients. Slice your tomatoes, chop your broccoli.
- Smash chickpeas with a fork, mix in about 1/2 T of Apple Cider Vinegar, heavily spice with italian seasoning, add as much salt and pepper to taste – and mix well. (Feel free to throw whatever other spices suit your fancy – as this will be where the most flavor is coming from)
- After about 10 more minutes – Carefully remove casserole from oven and reduce to 350F. Place Chickpea mixture on top and flatten down into an even layer, then top with sliced tomatoes, then broccoli then onions.
- Return to oven and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven drizzle over sriracha and serve.