Vegan/Gluten Free Mac n Cheese with Broccoli and King Trumpet Mushrooms
So first – mad props go to a blog that I just discovered (and have become quite the recent fan of)
patrice d’agostino’s Vegan and Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese w/ Broccoli and Mushrooms
The cheesiness of this recipe is not my brain child – but for those of us who do like nutritional yeast, bigger portions, and the deliciousness that is King Trumpet Mushrooms… I have a version you may enjoy as well.
Side note – this was my first rendezvous with King Trumpet Mushrooms – and my GOD where have they been all my life! They’re so so so cheap at my local asian market (and cost an arm and a leg and my local health food store..?). If you’re unfamiliar, it is described here, pretty well. They add an extra layer of decadence to the Mac n Cheese, next time I’d honestly use more.
Also my first time caving and buying White Miso (not sure why I was resistant) – and damn, that shits good. My local asian store actually has some organic, non gmo and low sodium for pretty cheap, so check out your local asian market. I think it makes a difference in this recipe and adds a depth of flavor that takes it to that perfect level of Mac’n’Cheese-y-ness.
I’ve tried other version of Mac n Cheese – cauliflower based ones, nut based ones.. but this one…this one is it!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 C Gluten Free Pasta – I use Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta Pagodas
- 2 Crowns Broccoli, chopped smallish
- 4 Small/Medium King Mushrooms chopped (King mushrooms can drastically range in size – mine were about 3 inches) – so chop a rational amount here. One REALLY large King Mushroom could suffice.
- Half of a Lemon
- For the Sauce
- Half a Butternut Squash, pealed and chopped (Mine was kinda on the smaller side)
- Nutritional Yeast to Taste – I used about 4 Large Finger/Thumb pinches – if we’re talking precise measurements here.
- 3 Heaping Tablespoons Low Sodium White Miso (this is critical don’t skip!)
- 2 small handfuls of Walnuts – or other fatty nut you have(cashews, brazil nuts, etc)
- Dash of Turmeric
- 1.5 t Paprika
- 1 t Smoked Paprika
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- Dried Onion Flakes (optional! but delicious)
- Can of Full Fat (go all out the creaminess is needed here!) Coconut Milk
- Prepare your Pasta, and Preheat your Oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and throw on your chopped mushrooms & broccoli, top with some salt and pepper, drizzle of olive oil- and let it bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, throw all sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend. (You can taste it here – it will already taste amazing, adjust ingredients as desired – adding more nutritional yeast, or miso as you see fit).
- When your veggies are done roasting – remove and squeeze lemon juice over the top.
- Place Everything together in a 13 x 9 Baking Dish and mix well to combine.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven – stir and serve!
So easy, SO GOOD.