Bean & Jackfruit LOADED Spicy Vegan Queso Mac n Cheese
WooWEE thats a mouthful – but I didn’t want you to miss a single component of this AMAZING dish.
Seriously I had to control myself why trying to photograph.
Today is a “use up what I have left” before my next shopping trip….and sometimes those days create the best recipes. I’ll notate what I actually used in this recipe – but I will also recommend substitutions. I didn’t have everything I wanted on hand, but made it work with what I had – and some of the items I had are random…. and likely not in your cupboard, because I’ma weirdo and I buy random shit sometimes. But feel free to make it exactly as I did. It shall be delicious.
In reality – this is a loaded Vegan Cheese Sauce – that is just poured over pasta – so you can really use this for anything you want a rich cheesy taste.
- 1 Small Butternut Squash
- 2 Large Handfuls of Walnuts
- 2 T Low Sodium White Miso Paste (go buy this if you don’t have it – they make soy-free versions if you don’t like soy)
- Juice from 2 small Lemons
- 1 Can Jackfruit in Brine, rinsed and shredded (you can find this at asian markets – you can also omit if you can’t find it – adds a meatiness)
- 1/2 Can of Organic Chopped Muir Glenn Tomatoes
- 3 T Dried Chopped Bell Peppers, mixed color (this comes in the bulk spice section) You may sub for regular fresh chopped bell peppers of your choice!
- 1 Dried Ancho Pepper, processed to small pieces/almost powder
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 C Beans (I used kidney)
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic minced
- Water as needed to thin
- 2 C Vegetable Broth (you can use water if you don’t have any – but this will really add to the richness)
- Crushed Red Pepper to taste
- 1/2 T Cumin
- Nutritional Yeast – add as much as you want – this will impact the cheesiness – I used about 1/4 C maybe more.
- 1 – 2 T Chili Powder
- Salt as desired (omit if your Miso Paste is not low sodium)
- Cooked Pasta of Choice (I used Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta)
- Optional: Hot Sauce
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375F. Peel and chop your Butternutsquash, place on a baking sheet, and roast until tender. – Also
- While thats cooking – heat a large pan over medium heat with a bit of EVOO. Thoroughly wash and shred your Jackfruit. Place it in your hot pan and start to cook out any liquid in the jackfruit. Also add in Chopped Onion and cook for about 5 – 10 minutes. Add in your garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Once your Squash is done roasting, carefully add it into a food processor, add in your vegetable broth, walnuts, nutritional yeast, ancho peppers, crushed red pepper, chili powder, Miso Paste, Lemon Juice, Cumin and process. Add in more liquid as needed to reach desired consistency of sauce.
- Add your sauce to the large pan that has your jackfruit and onions cooking.
- Fold in the tomatoes, beans, and bell peppers.
- Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes, on medium-low heat, careful the sauce will bubble. Top with hot sauce if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour sauce over pasta, or whatever you want to use it with.