Brown Rice, Goat Cheese, Sprout And Asparagus Roll topped with Candied Walnuts and a sweet balsamic reduction
So this is a total rip from a sushi place my boyfriend and I go. I should back up with a disclaimer.
Warning: This super non-authentic sushi may totally shock, appall and offend you. However, as vegetarians, all of our sushi is offensive and non authentic. So there!
If the previous warning doesn’t deter you, prepare yourself for a flavorgasm.
(amounts vary based on number of rolls, get the amount you think is necessary)
- Sheets of Nori
- Cooked Brown Rice (short grain or “sushi rice”)
- Sprouts (I used daikon sprouts) – optional
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Goat Cheese
- Optional: Garlic
- First create the reduction. Do this by heating about 1 C Balsamic Vinegar (and garlic if using) over medium heat until reduce by half. I added a touch of Agave to add to the sweetness.
- Next prepare your walnuts. Chop your walnuts up into fine pieces, heat over medium heat in a large pan. Drizzle with agave and stir. Add more agave as needed until the walnut chunks are nicely glazed.
- For your sushi, I used half a nori sheet, spread the brown rice evenly over the nori, flipped it onto the bamboo mat (covered in plastic wrap), then added 1 piece of asparagus, the goat cheese and sprouts. Carefully roll up, then cut.
- Plate topped with walnuts and drizzled reduction.
Do not serve with soy sauce!