Spicy Baba Ganoush Cabbage Salad – or Tacos!
This salad can be served warm or cold, as a side, as a main dish component, stuffed in a taco, or just about any other way you can imagine 🙂
Its quick to prepare, and comes together about as quickly as you can roast 2 eggplants. Saves well for leftovers, and pairs nicely with other Mediterranean, rich, savory flavors.
What you see pictured is the baba ganoush salad mixture with some added sunflower sprouts, mashed pinto beans and served as a taco 🙂
I’ve been studying a lot of nutrition lately, and I’m currently obsessed with the book Nutrition Made Clear, which i’m listening to on audiobook. I’ve started to realize that I’m really not feeding my boyfriend enough protein/calories per day. He’s 6’2, and I’m 5’7… and we’ve been eating fairly similar amounts, I tend to feed him more…. but def not as many calories as I’m learning he needs. His body naturally burns around 500 more calories than me a day, just by default!
Poor thing! I’m finding ways to make his meals more calorie dense, without compromising health TOO much. So I’ve started doing quick easy sides (such as mashed pinto beans, green peas, quinoa), and throwing things on Tortillas to help bulk up his intake.
If you are a smaller female, or know that you’re not trying to bulk up your meals, feel free to eat this salad all on it’s own.
- 2 Eggplants
- 1 C Cooked Garbanzo Beans (I skin mine)
- 1 – 2 T Tahini
- A Few tablespoons of Bulgarian Yogurt (I use non fat), add as much as desired for creaminess.
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 – 3 lemons juiced
- 1 T Garlic Chili Paste
- 3 – 5 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- 1 C Cooked Rice
- 1 Large Cucumber Diced
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 400F.
- Stab your eggplants a few times, and roast until tender, about 30 mins, or more depending on size.
- Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, cut in half and pour the insides into a food processor.
- Add in Garbanzo Beans, Yogurt, Apple Cider Vinegar, Tahini, Salt to taste, Lemon Juice, Garlic Chili Paste, Garlic and process for a few moments. Add in as much EVOO as you’d like, and process for a few moments more. Finally add in as much water as desire to reach the consistency you prefer.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped cucumber, cabbage, rice and your Spicy Baba Ganoush Mixture, and combine. Serve as is, or add to a taco for a creative new taco filling 🙂