Greek Meets Asian Avgolemeno Soup (Egg & Lemon) – Vegetarian
This soup was pulled from a cookbook I acquired a while back at a thrift store full of amazing SOUPS! I had never heard of Avgolemeno soup before, but the basic ingredients in it sounded good to me, so I decided to give it a whirl. I tasted the recipe at the end and decided to take some creative liberty towards the end.
This soup is traditionally made with chicken stock – so it’s important if you use vegetable stock – to use a good one.
This soup is simple yet rich in flavor. You can whip it up as fast as you can cook the rice. If anything – you’ll be waiting on the rice… 🙂
- 4 C Quality Vegetable Broth (Homemade Preferred)
- 2 small lemons juiced
- 1/2 – 1 C Brown Rice Cooked – your preference here
- 3 Egg Yolks (Save those whites for another time!)
- Parsley for Garnish
- 1 – 2 T Miso Paste (depends on taste – add 1 first)
- Optional: Tofu for added protein.
- In a pot, heat your vegetable broth up to a simmer.
- While you wait for it to reach simmering – whisk together your eggs and lemon juice until frothy.
- Ladle 1 or 2 Scoops of soup into the egg and lemon mixture and whisk again thoroughly.
- Once your broth is simmer, remove it from the heat, slowly add your egg mixture into the hot broth, and continuously whisk. Foaming is ok, it will settle.
- Once you’ve added all your egg mixture, ladle a bit of the soup back out into a separate bowl (you can use the same one you were just using) and add the Miso Paste. Start with 1 T. Whisk the miso paste so that is well mixed with the soup, then add it back into the main soup pot. Taste, and add more miso if you desire.
- Once flavored to your liking, serve with rice, small firm tofu cubes, pepper and a bit of parsley.