Gluten Free Coconut Flour Muffins – 2 flavors Lemon Ginger Cayenne & Lemon Poppyseed (both with nuts)
I acquired a large bag of organic coconut flour as a gift and I was on a mission to figure out what to do with it. I don’t usually bake which is how coconut flour seems to be most commonly used… so I began to scour the internet for recipes. I’m not a huge sweets person… and I try to avoid making too many sweets at home.. so I found a nice balance.
This recipe was my source and inspiration, but I put my own take on them by adjusting the amounts and adding some unique flavors to the mix. I always half the original recipe, i’ve notated my measurements here.
Tips: I’ve tried doing just 2 large eggs when I half the recipe, and while it still works, they were noticeably more crumbly, if you want them to hold up a little more, go for three. When I go to half this recipe, I just measure by using the Cup size of the original recipe, and simply filling it roughly half way. It doesn’t half to be perfect.
Ingredients for muffin base
- 3/8 (half of 3/4) cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 2 – 3 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- Sweetener of Choice – amount of choice. I used honey, a few Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Lemon Ginger Cayenne
- 2 t Ginger
- Dash of Cayenne (be careful, I made mine too hot!)
- 1 T Lemon Juice
- Optional: Walnuts/Pecans
Ingredients for Lemon Poppy Seed
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Start by combining all the base ingredients, combine all dry ingredients and mix in the moist ingredients well. Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Once your batter has set, divide it into two separate bowls. Add in one set of flavor ingredients to one, and the other set to the other bowl. Mix Well.
- Grease a Muffin Tin or Muffin Molds and fill them up about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake until crisp, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove let cool and enjoy!