Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad with Roasted Lemons
A great salad when you want something light, but full of flavor.
I’m not usually a huge fan of brussel sprouts unless they’re covered in delicious balsamic and roasted. But lately I’ve been really enjoying them raw or lightly cooked in salad form.
You can keep this salad raw, but I prefer giving them just a really light cook, only about 5 minutes, to mellow out the kales bitterness.
- 1/2 Head of Kale
- 1/2lb of Brussel sprouts
- 2 – 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 T or more High Quality EVOO
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 – 2 t Garlic Powder
- 1 – 2 t onion powder
- 1 T shallot (optional) I had dried shallot
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Lemon (for roasting)
- 1 Leek (White Parts only) thinly sliced)
- Honey As needed
- Optional: Throw on some nuts
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Thinly slice your lemons and leeks and place them on a greased baking pan and begin to bake.
- While they are baking, slice up your kale and brussel sprouts into a large bowl.
- For the dressing, combine Garlic, Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Oil, Spices and Oil and blend well until combined. Taste and adjust flavor as desired. Add a bit of honey if this is too tart for you. Also add water if needed to thin out the strength.
- Keep an eye on your lemons, after about 10 minutes, they should start to brown a bit – throw your Kale and Brussel Sprouts on the baking sheet and bake for 5 more minutes (this is optional – you can keep this part raw).
- Take all your ingredients out of the oven and toss into a large bowl.
- Add dressing, toss with nuts, mix well and enjoy!