Raw Onion Lentil Bread Sandwich with Kale, Avocado, RawRanch, Pickled Cucumbers and Sundried Tomatos (Raw, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Strap yourself in, this is a doozy. It isn’t hard, just a lot steps. This makes about 2 large portions, or 4 smaller sandwiches (pictured above).
For starters, if you want the pickled cucumbers you need to start this way in advance. I tend to slice cucumbers in apple cider vinegar and snack on them at random, and I just so happen to have these pickling for about a week. They are optional of course. But they add a nice tangy crisp.
- Pickles: If you’re opting for the pickled cucumbers, simply thinly slice cucumbers and soak them in Apple Cider Vinegar for a few days, or at least a few hours (mine were a week). They need enough vinegar to cover them.
- Prep for Bread & Spread: The night before soak about a cup of Sunflower seeds, a cup of lentils, and about a half cup of sun dried tomatos.
- Prep for Spread: Also, dehydrate a quarter of an onion (or the whole thing, and save the rest for pretty much anything later, they taste delicious dehydrated). To dehydrate an onion, simply chop it up into rings, about a quarter inch thick. Dehydrate on 115 over night ( 8 – 10 hours ).
Ingredients for Lentil Bread
- 1 cup soaked lentils
- .5 cup soaked sun dried tomatos
- 1 cup ground flax
- 1 cup water (or more as needed to thin)
- Herbs of your choice (I used Italian + Dill)
- drizzle of EVOO
- Quarter of an onion (I had leftover so I threw it in)
- Optional: Throw in any veggies you have laying around you need to get rid of you think would compliment your herbs well!
Directions for Lentil Bread
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add water slowly until you have a nice paste, not too thick, not too thin.
- Spread it on your nonstick dehydrator sheet about 1/4 in thick. This will make a nice thick bread perfect for a raw sandwich. For chips, spread thinner, Make less.
- Dehydrate for 2 hours on 135F (For strictly raw, keep it at 115, and make it longer).
- After 2 hours, score your bread, I cut it into 8ths using a pizza cutter, slide a spatula under your bread and flip it over. It may stick a little but if it feels too soft still, let it go longer.
- Finish dehydrating for another 2 hours on the remaining side or until crisp.
Ingredients for Raw Ranch (I’m calling this ranch, because everyone else seems to call this general combo of ingredients Ranch, but I must say its a far leap from its unhealthy counterpart – but its a tasty spread none-the-less!)
- 1 cup soaked sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 T of Dill (or more)
- Dehydrated Onion (About a cup – you can also buy pre dried onion granules, or just use onion powder, but the strength of powder is significantly less)
- half cup water (or more to thin to desired consistency)
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Raw Honey (or agave syrup or other sweetener)
Note: These measurements make plenty of leftover. But Raw Ranch can be used on tons of delicious recipes! So plan accordingly, or reduce measurements.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Taste, adjust as needed, I added more dill, and apple cider vinegar to mine (measurements reflect this). I flavored it to my liking.
Ingredients for final sandwich
- Lentil Bread
- Ranch Spread
- Pickled Cucumbers
- Nutritional Yeast (The Cheese* of the recipe)
- Sun dried Tomatoes
- Spread your delicious Ranch on your bread, then place (massaged, no really.. do it*) Kale, then Avocado, your Pickles and Sprinkle with a little bit of Nutritional Yeast if you have it for a cheesy taste, and top with pieces of sun dried tomato.