Baked Kohlrabi Fries
Incase you didn’t know….
This is a Kohlrabi
I live with 3 guys now, 2 of which I intend to cook for. 1 of these guys gets a weekly box of organic local veggies delivered to the house, and gave me just one stipulation… I can use them as long as I make a portion of food for him. So obviously I am going to take full advantage of these amazing veggies!! In his box there were two large purple root veggies. I had never seen it before and had no Idea what it even was… so I googled “purple root vegetable” and it came right up! From research online I found that it relates to Cauliflower and Broccoli the most… oddly enough. The taste is familiar but not something I can put my finger on, it is kind of like a turnip raw. I wanted to try something very basic to get a better understanding of the flavor of this veggie.
- Kohlrabi (as many as you desire! They’re small they don’t yield a ton)
- Set the Oven to Broil and let it heat up. Meanwhile, peel the Kohlrabi (I did this easily with a veggie/potato peeler).
- Cut into fry sized pieces.
- Toss in olive oil and a bit of salt, go easy on the salt, my first batch was too salty, the Kohlrabi will stand out enough.
- Place on greased baking sheet in a single spread out layer.
- Cook for 5 – 10 minutes then toss around the fries to generally flip them (You can flip them each individually, but I found that tedious). Just keep an eye on them. Once one side is browned flip it and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!